When the University of Wyoming first opened for students on September 6, 1887, its one instructional building had four stories and a magnificent octagonal tower.
In 1867, Union Pacific Railroad management employees came to the Laramie area, and after staying at or near Fort Sanders, they ventured three miles up to where they knew Laramie City would be built. They caused to have erected a sturdy building of 2” x 6” lumber at what is now 4th St. and Grand Ave. It served as their clubhouse and dormitory when they were near Laramie.
The red house at the corner of Tenth Street and Ivinson Avenue is familiar to generations of Laramie residents. Today it has a new lease on life with restoration on the outside, remodeling on the inside and a new wing providing an Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accessible entrance off Ivinson Avenue.